Risotto, with its luscious creaminess and rich flavors, is often associated with dairy. But fear not, for we’re about to embark on a culinary adventure that’s entirely plant-based and utterly delicious! In this oat milk based vegan risotto recipe, we’ll be using Oatish oat milk to create a velvety, savory risotto that’s sure to satisfy even the most discerning palates.
Ingredients for vegan risotto
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, for added umami)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Instructions for vegan risotto recipe
- Prepare the Vegetable Broth: In a saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a simmer. Keep it warm over low heat throughout the cooking process.
- Sauté the Aromatics: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute until fragrant.
- Toast the Rice: Add the Arborio rice to the skillet and stir to coat the grains with the onion and garlic mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes, allowing the rice to toast slightly.
- Deglaze with Wine (optional): Pour in the dry white wine and stir until it’s mostly absorbed by the rice. If you prefer to skip the wine, you can substitute with a splash of vegetable broth.
- Start the Risotto: Begin adding the warm vegetable broth to the rice, one ladleful at a time. Stir the rice constantly and allow each ladleful of broth to be absorbed before adding more. This gradual process helps to develop the creamy consistency of the risotto.
- Incorporate Oat Milk: Once the rice is cooked halfway through (around the 10-minute mark), start incorporating Oatish into the risotto in the same manner as the broth. The oat milk adds a subtle sweetness and a velvety texture to the dish.
- Sauté Mushrooms: In a separate pan, sauté the sliced mushrooms in a bit of olive oil until they’re golden brown and have released their moisture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Mushrooms and Spinach: Fold the sautéed mushrooms into the risotto, allowing their earthy flavors to infuse the dish. As the rice nears the desired doneness, stir in the fresh spinach and let it wilt gently.
- Enhance Flavor: If using nutritional yeast, now’s the time to sprinkle it into the risotto. Nutritional yeast adds a pleasant umami flavor reminiscent of Parmesan cheese.
- Season and Serve: Taste the risotto and season with salt and pepper as needed. The rice should be tender yet slightly al dente, and the consistency should be creamy and comforting.
And there you have it – a creamy, savory oat milk risotto that’s an absolute delight for your taste buds and your conscience. The oat milk brings a unique creaminess to the dish, while the mushrooms and spinach contribute layers of flavor and nutrients. This recipe showcases how plant-based ingredients can come together to create a dish that’s as satisfying as it is compassionate.
Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or simply looking to explore new culinary horizons, this oat milk risotto is a must-try. So grab your skillet, rice, and a carton of oat milk, and get ready to elevate your cooking game to a whole new level of deliciousness!